Thursday, January 28, 2010

J.D. SALINGER RIP


"I love to write and I assure you I write regularly," Salinger said in a brief interview with the Baton Rouge (La.) Advocate in 1980. "But I write for myself, for my own pleasure. And I want to be left alone to do it."

of course, there are the rumors of over 15 finished novels locked away. i remember years ago, john updike putting a novel titled hard heart on his 10 best novels of whatever year that happened to be. he claimed it was a salinger novel. there was an initial burst of curiosity but no novel surfaced & updike said he'd sent his copy back to salinger. w/his death today, we may finally get a chance to see if the myths are in fact true.

personally, i never had any problem w/his reclusiveness. i didn't mourn the loss of those alledged lost manuscripts. certainly, i'd love to read what he's worked on over the years but he gave us a lot to handle before he went into retreat. the extant works are deeply moving & slyly referential. they justify themselves.

last year, john updike died on january 27th.

"ānanda came to be known as Dhammabhandāgārika, owing to his skill in remembering the word of the Buddha; it is said that he could remember everything spoken by the Buddha, from one to sixty thousand words in the right order; and without missing one single syllable (ThagA.iii.134)."

No comments: