Saturday, June 20, 2009

KURT SCHWITTERS b. JUNE 20TH 1887



"He pulled one from my folio to admire
-- the one with MERZ in the middle
clipped out of a COMMERZBANK ad.
"What's it called?"
I shrugged. "Merz picture; merzbild."
"But of course!"

And in an instant
what had spun in my head for days
resolved.
"I call them all merzbilden.
Merz, not schmerz, is the core of my art."

"So you're Mr. Merz!" Arp laughed,
and I was laughing still
when I boarded the slow train for home."


"The chaos of the Kurt Schwitters real space was captured in about 65 Kbytes, less then 3,4K polygons as VRML 2.0. The overall performance is surprising regardless the complexity and level of realism, leaving free potential for future implementation within the space of Merzbau, since that space is by definition uncompleted and in a state of continuous growth, as it was in constant change by Schwitters. Implementations, such as an early light show system of the original Merzbau and a spatial interactive �Ursonate� composed by Schwitters and performed in the Merzbau, bring ultimate homage to the work and life of this enormous talent, Dadaist and Artist of the XX century, Kurt Schwitters.'



"My shell, my skin, my diary of dreams
-- dark corners of a life plastered over --
my search through time for a form beyond.
All this it is and more,

for this search need not end in
these planes of white plaster -- this vision
like a life will go on transforming
till darkness takes all."

No comments: